Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Question 23 and Her Calf

You remember the photo of my favorite Blalock heifer,
"Question #23"? 


Well, she had her calf last evening, and spent this morning in distress because the little thing decided to make a run for the woods! Brenda called me this morning to tell me that she and Charles were out behind our house looking for the calf. Bob and I heard 23 bawling and we could see her and knew something was wrong. We put on our shoes and went out to help look. The four of searched the woods, going through to each of the highways. Finally, Brenda saw the poor thing come out onto the private road that circles the place, but she and Bob couldn't catch up with it. Charles went back to get on the 4-wheeler and I stayed put, knowing if I tried to corner the calf, I would probably scare it into the woods in another direction. It ended up going across the busy highway, and I think it came back across and ended up at the other end of Gail's and Troy's place before Charles and Brenda finally caught it. They all were pretty tired. I didn't do that much. But mama 23 and baby were scared to death, and I don't blame them. 
They are now safely penned up together for a while in the corral until momma and baby get used to one another.
Guess it's all pretty normal on a fall day during calving season in Caldwell.

No comments:

Gratitude

When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.

--Chief Tecumseh

Home Page

Total Pageviews

All posts on this blog Copyright 2020 by Judy Shubert