Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

First Pecan of Season ~ September 16, 2013

Westmoreland Milk Glass Hen on Nest
with Red Comb and Feathers Covered Dish
and my Southern Living Pedestal Centerpiece
given to me by my daughter-in-law.

Shubert was mowing this morning and as he made the circle around Mrs. Blalock's 75+ year-old pecan tree that I can see from my kitchen window something hit him in the head. It was this premature green pecan. He stopped and brought it in the house to me so I could see the prospects for this fall's pecan harvest from the three Blalock pecan trees. It would be wonderful if they are all this big and if they stay on the tree instead of falling on the ground. If my uncle Raymond Stone were still with us he would be able to identify the type of pecan we have here. Guess I will have to investigate a little ~ ask a few questions of the Blalocks and/or the neighbors. If I am not successful, I can always take it to the Orange County North Carolina Extension Agency.



The beginnings of a beautiful pecan!
Sources:
Photos:Judith Richards Shubert; taken by and belonging to JRS 9-16-2013; digital format.

No comments:

Gratitude

When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.

--Chief Tecumseh

Home Page

Total Pageviews

All posts on this blog Copyright 2020 by Judy Shubert